Yield: 6–8 servings
You can also use flank steaks in this recipe; or, if you’d rather spend the money, ribeye, sirloin strip, and New York strip steaks are great with the herby, garlicky chimichurri sauce.
1 handful (2/3 cup [158 mL]) wood chips (oak, hickory, or cherry)
1 cup (236 mL) extra virgin olive oil
15 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 cup (79 mL) sherry vinegar
1/4 cup (59 mL) loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup (59 mL) loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup (59 mL) loosely packed fresh oregano
3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh thyme
1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 m) freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (11/2-pound [681-g]) flat iron steaks
1/4 cup (59 mL) butter
- In a food processor, combine the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, parsley, cilantro, oregano, thyme, salt, and peppers. Process until smooth, scrape into a bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Make sure the grill is clean and generously sprayed with nonstick spray. Preheat the barbecue to medium high (350°F [180°C] to 400°F [200°C]).
- In a cast-iron saucepan over direct heat on the grill, melt the butter until it begins to turn brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chimichurri sauce and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until it’s bubbling. Remove the pan from the heat and keep the sauce warm.
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a handful of wood chips in a smoke box or on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil and fold it over like an envelope to enclose the wood. Using a pencil, poke 3 to 4 holes in the top of the foil envelope (don’t poke all the way through). Place the foil directly on the coals or gas jets. When the wood inside starts to smoke, transfer the steaks to the grill over direct heat, cover the grill, and cook until juices form on the top of the steaks, flip, and cook the other side (about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare). Remove the steaks from the grill, drop a pat of butter on each steak, cover with foil, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- To serve, slice the steaks thinly across the grain and drizzle with the chimichurri sauce. Serve with extra sauce on the side.